CIWEA's Bernard L. Hyink Student Scholarship
It’s time to showcase your outstanding students’ and your campus’s experiential learning programs by encouraging and sponsoring essay submissions for the Bernard L. Hyink Scholarship essay contest.
The California Internship & Work Experience Association (CIWEA) will select two students to receive a $1,000 scholarship each. Students apply by submitting an essay that describes how their academic internship, co-op, or work experience has influenced their career choice. Essays are submitted to a CIWEA member on campus or at the work site. After a review process, the selected students will receive their scholarship in April 2019.
Please complete the attached flyer with your campus information in the bottom right corner and share it in your classes and with colleagues on campus to promote the scholarship. Consider using this essay as a course requirement. See the attached Information for CIWEA Members handout for complete details. The deadline to submit your essays, using the attached applicant certification form, is February 1, 2019.
· One $1000 scholarship will be awarded to a student from a 4-year university and one $1000 scholarship will be awarded to a student from a 2-year college in California. A certificate of achievement will be awarded to the second place winner in each category.
· Open to all undergraduate and graduate students attending 2-year and 4-year institutions in California.
· Any major may apply.
· Completed Internship, Work Experience or Co-op during winter, spring, summer or fall of 2018 while a student on your campus (must be a verifiable academic experience and completedby December 31, 2018).
· Previous award recipients are not eligible.
· Student applications (essays) must be submitted through a CIWEA member at the student’s college.
How to get INVOLVED
Four-Year College/University Student: Jessica Santavanond, Cal Poly Pomona
Two-Year College Student: Sarah Olsen, Mira Costa College
Four-Year College/University Student: Miriam Perez, Cal Poly Pomona
Two-Year College Student: Gerardo Reyes, College of the Canyons
Four-Year College/University Student: Alia Bonetti, CSU Long Beach
Two-Year College Student: Courtney Wiscarson, College of the Canyons
Who was Bernard L. Hyink?
Dr. Bernard L. Hyink, or “Bernie” to those who knew or worked with him, was a past president (1976-77) of CIWEA (then known as the California Cooperative Education & Internship Association or CCEIA) and a past president (1980-81) of the national Cooperative Education & Internship Association (CEIA). He was a professor of Political Science at California State University, Fullerton where, additionally, he founded and was Director of the Center for Internships and Cooperative Education.
More about Bernard, Click Here