Professional Development & Service
2016 Sally Cardenas Emerging Professional Scholarship 4-Year Recipient Michelle Svay (San Diego State University) with 2015-16 Awards Director Marilyn Ashlin
Sally Cardenas Emerging Professional Conference Scholarship
- Recognizes those new to the field of internships/co-op with only 3 years or less of experience.
- Nominee or a colleague at his/her institution must hold CIWEA membership.
- Nominees possess a desire to connect with other professionals in the field and learn how to make their internship/co-op programs stronger.
- Self-nominations are encouraged.
- Awardees are provided with a complimentary registration to attend the Annual CIWEA Conference held in the Spring.
Who is Sally Cardenas?
Sally Cardenas, is a lifetime member of the California Internship and Work Experience Association and is a recognized leader at state and national levels in the field of internships and cooperative work experience education. She has worked tirelessly to ensure that CIWEA remained relevant to internship and work experience professionals throughout the state. In particular Sally has been a true advocate for the professional development and support of new professionals entering the field. It is with this passion in mind that CIWEA chose to name the Emerging Professional Conference Scholarship in honor of Sally Cardenas. Candidates who receive the Sally Cardenas Emerging Professional Conference Scholarship will demonstrate the characteristics which Sally models including professionalism, integrity and a genuine interest in supporting others.
H. Sanford (Sandy) Gum Service Award
2016 H. Sanford (Sandy) Gum Service Recipient Dan Jenkins (Mendocino College) with 2015-16 CIWEA President Carol Bernardo and Awards Director Marilyn Ashlin
Annually, the association recognizes new, upcoming professionals who have recently joined the internship and work experience field with the "Sally Cardenas Emerging Professional Award". CIWEA recognizes long-time professionals for their service to the field with the "H. Sanford (Sandy) Gum Service Award".
- Recognizes outstanding professionals who have been in the internship/work experience field for 20 years or more.
- Nominees must be an active member of CIWEA.
- Nominees are recognized mentors and contributors in our field.
Who was Sandy Gum?
Dr. H. Sanford Gum, or “Sandy,” was one of the original founders of CIWEA, which was originally established as the California Cooperative Education Association or CCEA in 1974. He maintained his active membership continuously until retiring from higher education in December 2009.
While teaching drafting at the College of San Mateo from 1963 - 1984, Sandy was actively involved in many organizations related to work experience:
- The California Internship & Work Experience Association (CIWEA)
- The Western Association of Cooperative Work Experience Education (WACWEE)
- The Cooperative Education & Internship Association (CEIA)
- The Northwest Cooperative Education Association (NWCEA)
- The Washington Cooperative Education Association (WACEA)
Sandy firmly believed in service to his community and was a long time member of Kiwanis. Sandy served on the board of CIWEA in many capacities including President, Past President, Regional Representative, and Historian. After retiring from the College of San Mateo in 1984, Sandy was recruited by Foothill College to work with apprentices involved with the various building trades at the college until his second retirement in 2009.
Dr. H. Sanford Gum received his Bachelor of Arts degree from San Jose State University, his Master of Arts degree from Stanford University and his Doctor of Education degree from Oregon State University.
Sandy passed away March 8, 2013.